Wednesday, January 04, 2006

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (updated 01/09/06)



You MUST see this movie.




I will write more about the movie after I see it again....

....So last night I went to see this movie again. I am not much of a "go to the movies guy" and this is the first time that I have ever paid to see a movie twice. I have seen this movie twice in 6 days. It was just a powerful and moving the second time. For me, it is the best movie that I have seen that deals with gay love. It is a VERY powerful movie. I can understand why straight people see this movie because it is a great love story. BUT as a gay man, there is so much more that I believe we (gays & lesbians) relate to. After graduating college in 1986, I was faced with the dilemma of either marrying the girl that I had been seeing for 2 years or coming out. I knew I had to make a choice. I knew I could not get married and ruin both of our lives.

It is that choice, those emotions, the feeling of keeping a secret life that is captured so well in this movie. And these are the choices, emotions, and feelings that we take from the movie that I don't believe straights get because they have never lived it.

We've lived this movie, and some of us live this movie even today in 2006.

3 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did and were suprised by how many str8 couples were in the audience. Fine, fine flick.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger DINGER said...

We went to the 7pm show on New Years Day, figuring that it wouldn't be too busy what with work and school the next day. WRONG! The damn place was sold out! We had to sit in the very first row. I kept asking Jim if we were in King Kong because of the majority of str8 people were there.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger dean r said...

I saw it twice this weekend, still thinking bout it, prolly will all week. good post. DTR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home