Tuesday, November 01, 2005

MAY I SEE YOUR I.D.?

OLD: D.C. Transit
BECAME: METRO

It's almost complete and I HATE it!

Washington, D.C., the city was born in, and grew up around has lost most of it's hometown identity. NO, I'm not talking about tourist sites, The Mall, or museums but the businesses that made Washington, D.C. different from other cities. The businesses that made D.C. home. I grew up with Peoples Drug, Waxie Maxies, Hot Shoppes, and Roy Rogers. All of them gone. All we had left was HECHT'S, one of the best places ever to shop, but that too will be gone in 2006. Here's what I'm talking about.....

OLD: Woodward & Lothrop
BECAME: J.C. Penney's

OLD: Landsburgh's Department Stores (closed)

OLD: HECHINGER'S
BECAME: HOME DEPOT (more correctly was put out of business by Home Depot)

OLD: Hot Shoppes / Hot Shoppes JR.
BECAME: Bob's Big Boy / Roy Rogers (both since closed)

OLD: Roy Rogers
BECAME: Hardee's and then McDonald's

OLD: Dart Drug (closed)

OLD: Trak Auto
BECAME: Advanced Auto Parts

OLD: Peoples Drug Store
BECAME: CVS (to this day I still call it Peoples Drug and I miss the lunch counter)

OLD: Butterstick
BECAME: Tai Shan

and now the one that is really gonna stick a fork in us.....

OLD: HECHT'S
BECOMES: MACY'S....ugh!

Let's not forget Kemp Mill Records, Little Tavern, Britches of Georgetown, Britches Great Outdoors, Garfinkle's, Raleighy's or Crown Books either.

BUT there is some good news. The Washington Nationals have brought baseball back and I hear that Roy Rogers is going to open new locations soon. Man I can't wait to get me a Double R-Bar burger and a holster of fries!

5 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Chrisafer said...

I do this a lot with bar/club names--Badlands, the Frat House, Tracks. They all still exist in my head.

I'll see you at the Fixin's Bar!

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roy's is about the only fast food joint I still like, so I'm glad to hear it's making a comback.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger DINGER said...

I LOOOOOVE THE FIXIN'S BAR!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger clickboo said...

Roy Roger's is alive and well on the NJ turnpike... I hope they go out of business totally since I almost died from food posioning from them in October. :P

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Eddie Leonards and I too refer to CVS as Peoples. I also miss the movie theaters like the KB Silver, The Town, and Republic. Just about every neighborhood had its own theater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home